Thursday, April 23, 2015

Life Cycles (Science Lesson Plan)

Spring is a great time to work on life cycles, because as we are out and about we see some of the stages (butterflies flying around, baby ducks at the pond, and neighborhood kittens). I plan to spend a full week on this lesson plan. I want to do the basics like humans and pets, but then I also want to throw in some not so familiar birds, bugs and reptiles. 



This can really be broken down however you want and in what ever order. I want to start with simply explaining a life cycle, by playing a game.

Game:  Explain to your child what a life cycle is (we also got a book on this so we may read that to begin). It starts when someone or something is born, it continues to them becoming adults, and then starts over once they have a little one of their own. Then play a match game. Match the baby with the correct parent.

Time line activity: Animals are not the only ones who have life cycles, we do too. Using pictures of yourself or someone you and your child know like a grandparent, show pictures of when that person was a baby, when they were your child's age, when they were a teen, when they were an adult, and once they had their own child. This is the human cycle with all it's stages.

Now it's time to discover some interesting animals. The animals that have more steps to their life cycle. Ask your child if they know of any. They may be able to think of butterflies, or maybe frogs, and that would be correct. I got some books from the library, I thought we would try to go through one a day. I have one on frogs, one on butterflies, one on chickens, and one on alligators. 

Book List: "What is a Life Cycle?" by Bobbie Kalman and Jacqueline Langille "Tadpole to Frog" by Lisa M. Herrington "The Alligator" by Sabrina Crewe "How a Caterpillar Grows Into a Butterfly" by Tanya Kant "From Egg to Chicken" by Anita Ganeri

Vocabulary Words: Here are some words they should learn and be able to either give the definition or use in a sentence.
Larva immature form of an insect that differs greatly from the adult form
Pupa, Cocoon, or Chrysalis the case in which a caterpillar turns into a butterfly
Tadpole young frogs that live in water and breath through gills
Amphibians animals that live in water and on land
Mature fully developed
Hatch to come out of an egg

Writing: Have your child write about each animals cycle, (I would only have them do like one a day) work on writing First, Next, Then, Finally or Last, papers.

Hands on: I don't know about you, but for me I learn and remember things by being able to see, and touch, and experience things. That is why for this lesson plan I am going to get our own caterpillars to take care of and observe. I found this at Toys R Us and also on Amazon 


Fun reading: "My, Oh My- a Butterfly" by Tish Rabe "The Hungry Little Caterpillar" By Eric Carle "I Don't Want to Be a Frog" by Dev Petty

Art Projects: I saw a few I thought were cute on pinterest, so here are the links, check them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment